Wednesday, March 23, 2016

[Comparison] CoverGirl Oh Sugar! Balm V.S. Fresh Sugar Lip Treatment

Hello!

Happy Spring! There were so many new beauty product launch lately! This CoverGirl balm caught my eye right away. Honestly, I do not usually look at Covergirl lip products, because I remember the lipsticks were really drying for my lips. When I saw the name "Oh Sugar" vitamin infused balm, I immediately thought of the Sugar lip treatment from Fresh. ( I tried the Fresh sugar treatment awhile back, and I lost the tube already, I can only use the photo from Sephora.) Now that I tried out both lippies, I can tell you whether I think the Covergirl "Oh Sugar" is comparable to Fresh.

Let's get started...



1) Company Product Claims/ Ingredient
Both contains Vitamins C&E and grapeseed oil to act as treatment for softer lips.

Covergirl:
Treat your lips with colorlicious oh sugar! Vitamin infused lip balm.  With the help of grapeseed oil, avocado butter, and Vitamins C & E, it's only natural that this delicious smelling lip treatment leaves your lips soft and nourished with a hint of sheer color.  

Fresh:
Sugar Lip Treatment blends reparative oils and waxes with real sugar, a natural humectant, for delectable and dependable moisture. Sweet and tart black currant oil, rich in plumping essential fatty acids, cushions the lips while antioxidant grapeseed polyphenols and vitamins A, C, and E provide protection from wrinkle-causing free radicals. 


2) Texture/ Finishes

Both products glide on the lip easily without tugging, really feels like a nourishing lip balm! They both leave a slightly glossy finish; however the glossy look goes away after awhile.Even when the glossy finish go away, they both leave a tint on the lips and they both don't dry out the lips through out the lips. Both company did not claim for long wear, and it's understandable that the balmy feel goes away through out the day! Now, something different between the two...

CoverGirlI find that when I first apply this, I can feel some "sugar particles", like I just at some granulated sugar. The "sugar" disappear after a few minutes. I find that the color payoff is more buildable with the CoverGirl balm.There are 10 shades to choose from in the line. I'm going to insert a swatch photo of the colors, I found this picture on Budgetbeautyblog.com because I only own #9 Jelly. 


covergirl oh sugar lip balm swatches
Photo source: http://www.budgetbeautyblog.com/
Fresh: It does not have the "granulated sugar" feeling. The colors from the collection are pretty sheer.  I also find that the moisture stays a bit longer with the Fresh balms. Something different is that these lippies have SPF 15, making this product not only treating your lips but also protecting them. It has 12 colored shades and 1 clear balm to choose from. I tried both the Rose and clear. Here I am inserting a photo from Cuteandmundane.com, the swatches do not include the whole collection either.


Photo Source: www.cuteandmundane.com
3) Scent
In my opinion they smell/ taste the same! They both have a citrus/ lemon scent. If you accidentally lick you lips, they both taste really sweet. The scent doesn't bother me, I am so glad the Covergirl one does not smell like plastic.

4) Packaging
Surprisingly, the packaging was not the reason why I thought the two brands may be comparable. The Covergirl one comes in their usual lipstick packaging, a squared, rectangle tube. Whereas the Fresh one comes in a cylinder tube, you have to twist/(screw) on the lid. I think Fresh has better packaging, especially for those who likes to carry their lip products with them because no matter how your lip products move around in the bag, the lid will not come off. I am not saying that the lid for the Covergirl comes off easily, but there is the possibility because it is just a simple click on lid.

5) Prices/ Accessibility
CoverGirl: .
$ 7 CAD 0.13 oz
From walmart/ Shoppers Drug Mart/London drugs/ drugstore 

Fresh:
$28 CAD 0.15oz
Sephora

Overall
I find that both products works pretty much the same! The scent, texture and finishes are almost identical. The major difference for me is that the color tint for the Covergirl stays longer and the moisturizing feeling of the Fresh stays longer. Fresh is about 4 times more expensive than Covergirl. I really enjoyed both balms, if I want to purchase another one, I will try and see if I can find a color from the Covergirl line first. However, buying lip products at the drugstore is tricky, because you usually can't test the color on the lips (sanitary reasons), and swatch a color on the back of the hand is totally different than swatching on the lips! I would recommend both brands, it's up to you to decide what you want from the balms, longer lasting tint? or longer hydration? 

That's all for today, have you tried either of these products? Which one do you like better?  Also, let me know what you think about comparison posts, and let me know what other product comparisons you want to see.

Yours Truly,

Ting


Find me here:
Instagram: @judyy116
Twitter: @jtingsdiary
Email: jtingsdiary@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment